Israel, which has become a major gas exporter in recent years, has shut down several major energy sites since Hamas militants attacked southern Israel on Oct. 7, sparking a wider conflict in the Gaza Strip.
Following are the sites impacted by the conflict so far:
THE TAMAR GAS FIELD
Israel on Oct. 9 suspended the Chevron-operated Tamar gas field, whose platform is located some 25 kilometers (km) (15.5 miles) off the city of Ashdod along Israel’s southern Mediterranean coast.
Tamar produced 10.25 billion cubic meters (bcm) of gas in 2022, 85% of which was used in the domestic market while the remaining 15% was exported to Egypt and Jordan.
Chevron owns a 25% stake in Tamar, while Isramco ISRAp.TA holds 28.75%, the UAE’s Mubadala Energy 11%, Union Energy 11%, Tamar Petroleum 16.75%, Dor Gas 4% and Everest 3.5%.
THE EMG PIPELINE
Chevron said on Oct. 10 it had halted natural gas exports via the East Mediterranean Gas (EMG) between Israel and Egypt and that it was supplying gas via an alternative pipeline through Jordan.
The EMG pipeline runs from the southern Israeli town of Ashkelon, located some 10 km north of Gaza, to El-Arish in Egypt, where it connects to an onshore pipeline.
The 90-km pipeline is the main link between the Chevron-operated Leviathan offshore gas field and Egypt. The Leviathan consortium includes operator Chevron, Israel’s NewMed Energy NWMDp.TA and Ratio Energies RATIp.TA.
THE PORT OF ASHKELON
Shipping and trade sources said on Oct. 9 that the port of Ashkelon and its oil terminal had been shut. The port is located just over 10 km from the Gaza Strip.
The ports of Haifa and Ashdod remained open, the sources said.
Israel’s natural gas production https://tmsnrt.rs/46MFs3X
(Reuters – Reporting by Ron Bousso in London; editing by Jason Neely)